[CP2K:6844] Non-integer charge in the classical part of QM/MM system

tarak karmakar tarak... at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 07:49:36 UTC 2015

Thanks Teo for the quick reply and suggestion.
What would you recommend for the GLY residue?
Is a cut in the CA-C bond a good choice for GLY?

In my system, I have two consecutive residues CYS 99 and GLY 100 in the
active site which I need to include in the QM part.
Now, what I did as of now is, I cut a bond
i) between N of Ser 98 (previous residue) and CA of CYS 99.
ii) between CA of GLY 100 and C of GLY 100

While I do the above, I have got a non-integer charge of +1.68 for the
classical part.
I calculated the sum of the atomic charges (atoms I selected for the QM
part) and got +0.32.

    2707  99  CYS  CA   CT1    0.070000       12.0110           0
    2708  99  CYS  HA   HB1    0.090000        1.0080           0
    2709  99  CYS  CB   CT2   -0.110000       12.0110           0
    2710  99  CYS  HB1  HA2    0.090000        1.0080           0
    2711  99  CYS  HB2  HA2    0.090000        1.0080           0
    2712  99  CYS  SG   S     -0.230000       32.0600           0
    2713  99  CYS  HG1  HS     0.160000        1.0080           0
    2714  99  CYS  C    C      0.510000       12.0110           0
    2715  99  CYS  O    O     -0.510000       15.9990           0
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Total=
0.16
    1043 100  GLY  CA   CT2   -0.020000       12.0110           0
    1044 100  GLY  HA1  HB2    0.090000        1.0080           0
    1045 100  GLY  HA2  HB2    0.090000        1.0080           0
    1046 100  GLY  C    C      0.510000       12.0110           0
    1047 100  GLY  O    O     -0.510000       15.9990           0
Total = 0.16

The total charge in the QM part is -2.

So, I will get an excess charge of +0.32 (or opposite, -0.32) from the
atoms described in the QM part, right?
Distribute this excess charge in the MM part, does that mean I need to
adjust the charges of the MM atoms in the .psf file to make my system
neutral?

Thanks,
Tarak