Parameter choice for GAPW

Ali Akbari aliakb... at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 14:07:59 UTC 2014

Hi Marcella,

Many thanks for the quick reply. But I still have some questions. I do
apologise in advance for asking too many questions, but you have a
deep knowledge about the code & the implemented formalism and nobody can
answer better than you.

To give a better context for my questions I describe my system. It is a
periodic system (TiO2 surface with an organic dye) and I want
to calculate XAS and XPS. Since (I think) all electron calculations are
much heavier, I consider only the target atom with all electron
and the rest with pseudo potentials. One general question is that how
important is to change default values? Are the most important
parameters the ones you wrote in the earlier post 6 years ago?

My details question are:

*ALPHA0_HARD* and EPS_3C_REDUCE
Compare to the previous discussion 6 years ago, It seems to me that
 ALPHA0_SOFT is removed and ALPHA0_HARD default value is now 0 instead of
10. What value do I need to choose? What should I do for EPS_3C_REDUCE?

*EPS_PPL *
EPS_PPL  default value is 0.01. Isn't it too rough?

*EPS_DEFAULT*
It's written in the CP2K manual,  by setting EPS_DEFAULT, CP2K will all
EPS_xxx variable to get an energy correct to up to EPS_DEFAULT. So how
crucial is to set the variables EPS_******? Is there any EPS_**** that is
not control by  EPS_DEFAULT?

*LMAXN0 *and *LMAXN1*:
You wrote: The maximum possible value  is 2 times the maximum angular
momentum present in the basis set.
Which basis set you refer to and how can I determine it (different atoms
can have different basis sets)?
LMAXN1 default value is -1. What does it mean?

*QUADRATURE*:
There are three algorithms available. What is the criterion to choose?

*HARD_EXP_RADIUS* and *EPSFIT*:
I have a C-H bond (length 1 A) in my system. The default values of
HARD_EXP_RADIUS  are 0.6 A and  0.80 A for H and C respectively.
I treat C with all electron (aug-cc-pV5Z) and H with TZV2P-MOLOPT-GTH basis
set. From your answer, I understand that I should choose smaller
values for  HARD_EXP_RADIUS.  What is your suggestion in this case? How
should I choose an optimal value for situation like this?
Do I need to change  EPSFIT too?

*LEBEDEV_GRID* and *RADIAL_GRID*:
Both default values are 50 but you wrote before that 100 points on the
radial grids, and 50 on the angular. Do they change if have a
mixture of all electron and pseudo potentials?

Thank you very much and cheers,
Ali