Parameter choice for GAPW

Marcella Iannuzzi marci... at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 15:37:17 UTC 2014

Hi Ali,

As already said in the previous reply, by applying the GAPW scheme, the
density is going to be partitioned in soft and hard terms also when PP are
used.
The large number of parameters that could be tuned might be of some help in
difficult cases, but often the default values are a good first choice.

Which basis set functions are going to contribute to the local densities
depends on the exponents of the primitives. Actually, the threshold is
determined by the EPSFIT parameter. Anyway, I would use the default for
that.

The compensation charges are described in terms of an expansion in Gaussian
terms with the exponent alpha0_hard. Also in this case the default value
should be ok.
The 3 center terms are not computed anymore. From our tests it turns out
that there is no loss in accuracy by imposing the soft and hard local
compensation charges to be the same. This cancels the 3c terms. Hence the
eps_3c_reduce is not used anymore. It is a left over and I am going to
remove it from the code.

>From the input reference manual should be clear which eps_*** are affected
by eps_default. These are all parameters used by both gpw and gapw in the
same way.

The  lmaxn1 is determined automatically from the GTO basis sets that you
have chosen. This is the meaning of -1
Setting this from input to a smaller value would reduce the accuracy and
maybe improve in performance.
I wouldn't do it, if not necessary.

The quadrature schemes are equivalent.

The number of points for the local grids can affect the accuracy. But
normally reasonable grids are already obtained with lebedev between 50 ad
80 and radial between 100 and 200. Depends on the element and basis sets
anyway.

You can always check whether the results are converged with respect to
these parameters, by modifying them. This should give you a feeling on how
sensitive the calculation is to them.

Kind regards

Marcella