[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19697] EFIELD_CUBE in QM/MM with xTB

Alexandre Pinto skatenorulez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 15:21:00 UTC 2024

Dear community,

I'm interested in measuring the electric field produced by a charge
distribution at a given reference coordinate. To that end, I'm printing
the EFIELD_CUBE files (after a single-point energy calculation with xTB
within the QM/MM framework) and then I use a script to interpolate the
value of the property in the given reference point. However, I have some
questions:
- The grid spacing that results from STRIDE 1 might be too big to make an
accurate interpolation, thus I'm wondering if it makes sense to use the
&MGRID/CUTOFF keyword within the xTB implementation to change the number of
grid points (I get the following warning in CP2K 8.2 "pool cannot reuse pw
of another grid")?
- The atomic coordinates of the cube file are reordered and have been
translated relative to the input coordinates, which makes it hard to
extract the value of the property at the reference point. Is there any
known way to avoid or correct this?
- I am unsure what are the units used in the printing of the cube files,
altough I suspect it to be atomic units. Is this correct?

Best regards,
Alexandre