[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19529] Protein in solution - Dipole Moment

'up201...@g.uporto.pt' via cp2k cp2k at googlegroups.com
Sun Nov 19 14:48:02 UTC 2023

Dear CP2K community,

I am interested in measuring the dipole moment of a system which consists
of a protein solvated in water and equilibrated in the NVT ensemble. The
system is periodic in all directions to simulate the bulk solvent, under
the assumption that the periodic image of the protein is far enough to
avoid an electrostatic influence (common practice when simulating
proteins). After doing some measurements of the dipole moment for a
reactant and a transititon state structure of a reaction occuring at the
active site, using as a REFERENCE_POINT the coordinates of an atom involved
in the reaction and PERIODIC T, I noticed that the direction of dipole
moment vector changes quite drastically (opposite direction), which is
unexpected since the charge distribution remains virtually the same. Since
the system is not truly periodic (proteins in aqueous solution are not
periodic materials), I used PERIODIC F and now the dipole moment vectors
are consistent. Thus, my question is: would it be correct to measure the
dipole moment in this case with PERIODIC F, despite the cell definition
being PERIODIC XYZ, or would it give an unphysical result?

Best regards,
Alex