[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19536] Protein in solution - Dipole Moment

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Tue Nov 21 08:44:26 UTC 2023

Hi

because of a lack of detailed information I will guess what could be the problem.
I assume you are doing a QM calculation of the combined protein/water system.
The polarisation change (dipole) calculated with PBC (Berry phase algorithm) gives
results that depend on the branch of the complex logarithm. This can lead to
jumps by 2Pi/L (simple cubic case), see other discussions and literature about this.
Selecting a good reference point can avoid (or minimise) the number of jumps.
In any case, differences in polarisation (adjusted for jumps) will be independent
of the reference point.
A non-periodic calculation will not work if your system is truly periodic (protein + water).

regards
JH