[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18290] Meaning of SHADOW_GAMMA

Thomas Kühne tkuehne at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 21:11:29 UTC 2023

Dear Amit,

Gamma_L and Gamma_D of the paper refers to GAMMA and NOISY_GAMMA within the CP2K code.
SHADOW_GAMMA is the opposite of NOISY_GAMMA and induces a Langevin friction without adding
the corresponding noise according to the fluctuation-dissipation theorem. This can be used, (i) to determine
NOISY_GAMMA by reproducing the dissipation as a function of SHADOW_GAMMA, or (ii) to use the
Langevin equation at the presence of intrinsic noise in the forces e.g. due to the usage of low-precision
arithmetic.

Best,
Thomas Kühne

> Am 02.01.2023 um 23:41 schrieb Amit Gupta <amit.welcomes.u at gmail.com>:
>
> Following the conversation of this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/cp2k/c/fmZX3_2kivc
>
> I did a parameter sweep of my system using FIST dynamics, and determined that
> GAMMA = 0.35
> NOISY_GAMMA=1e-5
>
> yields best thermostat stability in my system. The paper mentioned in above conversation however uses slightly different terminology of Gamma_L (Langevin friction) and Gamma_D(intrinsic friction). And their values are rather low (1e-8 for Gamma_D and 0 for Gamma_L ). I would like to understand
>
> 1. How are GAMMA, NOISY_GAMMA, and SHADOW_GAMMA are related to Gamma_L and Gamma_D?
> 2. Does the value I got (0.3 and 1e-5) pass the initial smell test? Or do they look non-physical (I mostly use Nose thermostat but needs to use Langevin for this study for replicating a paper)?
>
> Thank you

Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter
Chair of Theoretical Chemistry