[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18720] Re: Calculation of the static dielectric constant of a 3D periodic water system

Nathalie Smith nathaliesmith26 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 15:11:37 UTC 2023

Dear CP2K users,

I hope it's okay to bring up my question again. I tried to set up a
simulation of bulk water (20³ angstrom³, 267 water molecules, PBCs in all
directions, spc/e water model) in Lammps and got an expected value of the
dielectric constant of around 68 when omitting the 3*pi factor in the
formula of my python script (which one should omit when using SI units, as
I now know after doing more research). However, omitting this factor makes
my values that I obtained using CP2K even worse. But now I at least know
that in principle, my formula is correct. When using CP2K with the same box
size, amount of water molecules, PBCs, and either the SPC/E model or
various DFTB parametrizations, I got values around 8/(3*pi).

Could someone help me with this problem, please? I would love to set up
simulations using DFTB but in the long run, I can't switch to DFTB+ because
of some missing features, which is why I would like to use CP2K.

Currently, I am using the CP2K version 7.1.

Best wishes,

Nathalie Smith