[CP2K-user] [CP2K:18664] Calculation of the static dielectric constant of a 3D periodic water system

Nathalie Smith nathaliesmith26 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 12:04:15 UTC 2023

Dear CP2K users,

I am having trouble with a problem that I have seen sporadically in this
forum, but didn't really find an answer to.

I am trying to calculate the static dielectric constant of water using the
variance of the total dipole moment of the system, like shown in several
papers and CP2K tutorials (e.g.
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2014_ethz_mmm:monte_carlo_ice or
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2018_uzh_acpc2:mol_sol). Currently, I am
tyring to reproduce the MD simulation shown in the last link, just for
longer simulation times (in the nanosecond scale) and in the NVT instead of
the NVE ensemble. Therefore, I use the TIP3/Fw water model, PBCs in all
directions, the spme method to deal with electrostatic interactions, and
the berry phase formula for the calculation of the dipole moments. You can
see all the parameters in the attached input file.

When I got the file with the dipole moments, I used the linux terminal
command „cat filename.dat | grep Debye > newfilename.dat“ to extract the
dipole moments in Debye, removed the „MM DIPOLE [BERRY PHASE](Debye)|“
section and used a python skript to calculate the static dielectric
constant from it (also attached to this message). The problem: The value I
get is way too low, around 15 and not around 80 as I would expect. In other
simulations that I set up (using SPC/E water and a larger cell), the
problem was even worse and I got a value around 8.

I checked my units and formulas several times and I honestly don’t think
they are the reason I get wrong values. From what I have seen in the CP2K
forum, this is a rather common problem; e.g. here
https://lists.cp2k.org/archives/cp2k-user/2020-March/013043.html someone
only got the right result after calculating the total dipole moment by
themselves (which is something I could do for most MM methods, but not
quite as easily for QM methods I guess, which I want to use later on. I
know I could calculate molecular dipole moments using maximally localized
Wannier centers, but this seems to be computationally more expensive).

So my question is: Is there something wrong with my calculations that I
don’t see? Or is it a problem with the CP2K dipole moments (e.g. wrong
unit, or wrong values altogether)? I am convinced that CP2K can be used for
the calculation of static dielectric constants using the variance of the
total dipole moment because it was already used for this purpose in the
literature (e.g. https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jp4103355; please note
that I am aware of the differences between their and my calculations (MC
instead of MD, ice instead of water, DFT instead of a MM water model etc.)).

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads my question, and to anyone who also
gives an answer.

Best wishes,

Nathalie Smith