[CP2K-user] CELL size and xyz-file for an MD simulation

Николай Ткаченко nikolay.t... at gmail.com
Fri May 21 20:18:41 UTC 2021

Dear community,

We can define a system for MD simulation using an external .xyz file and
parameters of the periodic cell like in this example:

"&SUBSYS
    &CELL
       ABC [angstrom] 12.42 12.42 12.42
    &END CELL
    &TOPOLOGY
      COORD_FILE_NAME water.xyz
      COORD_FILE_FORMAT XYZ
    &END
  &END SUBSYS"

I have two questions regarding this approach:

1) In this particular case, is it OK if the .xyz file contains coordinates
in range from -6.21 to 6.21 A, and not from 0.00 to 12.42 A ?
2)  What will happen if I set the cell size smaller than the actual
xyz-file that I have? For instance, I tried to launch a calculation with
the cell size = 10.0 10.0 10.0 A, while my xyz file contained coordinates
in range -11.0 to 11.0 A. CP2K allows me to launch this calculation without
any warnings and errors. But what actually happens when the cell size is
smaller than the xyz-file?

Thank you for your help!

Sincerely, Nikolay.