[CP2K-user] Poor force convergence wrt basis set size

Arthur France-Lanord arthur... at gmail.com
Sun Jun 6 10:01:31 UTC 2021

Hi,

I'm currently testing atomic force convergence with respect to basis set
size, for a crystalline polymorph of sulfur (an array of cyclic S8
molecules). I've tested both standard GTH basis sets (DZVP to QZV2P
compared to QZV3P), and MOLOPT (DZVP-MOLOPT-SR to TZV2P-MOLOPT compared to
TZV2PX-MOLOPT). I'm observing a slow or poor convergence behavior, which
can be seen in these two plots (MAE : mean absolute error, MAPE : mean
absolute percentage error, both only computed on the x components of the
forces):

GTH basis sets:
[image: f_basis.png]

MOLOPT basis sets (the TZV2P-MOLOPT/QZV3P panel is just shown here for
comparison) :
[image: f_molopt_basis.png]

In particular, TZVP-MOLOPT performs slightly better than TZV2P-MOLOPT..?
I'm using a high energy cutoff (2500 Ry and a REL_CUTOFF of 100 Ry), and a
rather tight SCF convergence criterion (1.0e-7) with the OT method.
Convergence in the SCF is achieved rather fast.

Are these errors expected? I was trying to reproduce something similar from
what ccan be seen in https://arxiv.org/pdf/1409.4527.pdf (figures 1 and 2),
but didn't expect such high relative errors. The configuration I'm using is
from a molecular dynamics run to obtain non-zero forces. I'm including a
cp2k input file to reproduce the QZV3P calculation.

many thanks,
Arthur