[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14689] Calculating dipole moments for static dielectric constant calculation. Please help me decide whether and how to use Ewald summation.

Stns ant... at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 13:44:50 UTC 2021

Dear Juerg:

Thank you very much for confirming that.

Your reply makes sense, but I have been using "PERIODIC FALSE" because
someone advised me that that's the only way to get "traditional" dipole
moments that can be used with fluctuation formulas for calculating the
dielectric constant.  When I previously didn't use it, I was getting Berry
Phase dipole moments that led to dielectric constant values that were many
orders of magnitude off.  If there are any comments you can make about
this, I would be grateful.

It sounds like you are saying that I should use "PERIODIC TRUE."  If you
have time and see any other changes I should make to be able to use
fluctuation-type formulas for calculating the dielectric constant and get
reasonable values, I would welcome any tips.  Many thanks.