[CP2K-user] Tutorial PDOS WO3

Bram Van der Linden bramvdl... at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:23:35 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I did the following tutorial
https://www.cp2k.org/exercises:2017_uzh_cmest:pdos, in which it is
explained how the projected and total density of states of WO3 can be
determined. I used the exact same input file as provided on the webpage. I
used cpk2 6.1 to obtain the .pdos file, which I analysed using the Python
script written by Tiziano Müller. Please find attached the density of
states versus the energy, in case of MULTIPLE_UNIT_CELL 4 4 4 and
sigma=0.008.
Clearly, the band gap in this figure is much larger than the gap in the
reference DOS provided in the tutorial (which I also attached). However,
this reference PDOS is based on an LDA exchange-correlation functional
whereas the input file uses a PBE functional. I found another paper written
by Fenggong Wang et al. (https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/jp201057m) that
determined the density of states of simple cubic WO3, using hybrid
functionals. I attached their result too, see fig. 4b of
Fenggon_Wang_fig4.jpeg. This figure resembles my figure much better than
the reference DOS as given in the tutorial. Would it perhaps be an idea to
replace the reference PDOS in the tutorial by the figure as determined by
Fenggong Wang et al.?

With kind regards,

Bram