[CP2K-user] Simulate reactions with MC

Yike Huang ykhua... at gmail.com
Sat May 9 05:57:31 UTC 2020

Hi, cp2k users and experts,

Recently I read an interesting paper (doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-11856-9) where researchers find structure of oxidized nanoparticle by GEMC, which makes me curious because finding "correct" structure of nanoparticle is always a hard task. I want to find structure of oxidized Pt nanoparticle by GEMC too, and to compare energies of structures given by MD and GEMC.
However, it is the first time I use MC, so I read traditional MC and GEMC run_examples (ice_h and water liquid-vapor equilibrium) provided on cp2k website and learned fundamental concepts of MC. Unfortunately I am still confused about several basic points:
1. In examples, topology of H2O molecule is clearly defined, all parameters controlling motions can be understood with clear physical meaning. Note that examples provided don't contain any reactions, I can hardly write MC input files correctly to simulate even the  simplest reaction, 2H→H2, where there're changes in the number of molecule and molecule type, because I have no idea about how to set parameters if I want to simulate reactions in MC.
2. I tried to turn off CONNECTIVITY and all parameters controlling motions of molecule in MC section, in order to avoid cp2k complains about inconsistency of the number and type of molecule. What I expect is that, if I don't define molecule, MC will directly sample/presample motions of atoms, evaluate energy and force by QS (just like if one deletes connectivity information in Gaussian, I turn off LBIAS indeed), but it seems not. cp2k told me MOLECULE must be explicitly defined, and parameters pertaining to molecule are compulsory.
3. What's worse, even for a one-atom toy system which I want to run it in MC, cp2k crashes after the first scf converges. cp2k complains segmentation fault, and there's no error printed out in stdout file. (I attach this input file at the end)

In brief, I think it must be of help if someone is glad to write a short example input illustrating how to simulate 2H→H2 reaction in MC. If so, I think my questions asked above will be perfectly solved.

Thanks in advance.

Huang Yike, PhD candidate.
Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, CAS, China.

-------------toy-system input----------------
&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep
  &DFT