[CP2K-user] How to run MC simulation on metal nanoparticles?

Yike Huang ykhua... at gmail.com
Sat May 9 01:50:24 UTC 2020

Hi, cp2k users and experts,

Recently I read an interesting paper where authors said they find structure
of oxidized nanoparticle by GEMC, which makes me curious because finding
"correct" structure of nanoparticle is always a hard task. So I want to
find structure of oxidized Pt nanoparticle by GEMC too, and to make sure
whether using this method to find structure is reliable.
I have read GEMC run_example (water liquid-vapor equilibrium) provided on
cp2k website, but I am still confused. In example input, topology of H2O
molecule is clearly defined, all parameters controlling motions can be
understood with clear physical meaning. However in Pt nanoparticle, I an
not sure how to set  molecule-kind of parameters (e.g., parameters
in &MOL_PROBABILITIES and &AVBMC section). Should I assign each Pt atom as
a "molecule"? But I am not sure at all.
Because I have no clear idea about how to treat atoms that don't reside in
classical molecule in &MC section, I have no input file to attach.
I think it must be of help if anybody can write a example about how to run
MC (even not GEMC, traditional is enough) on nanoparticle (any, even a
2-atom-"metal cluster" is already enough).
Thanks in advance.

Huang Yike, PhD candidate.
Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, CAS, China.