[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12784] Negative frequencies in vibrational analysis

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 18:09:08 UTC 2020

>From your last message I understand that you want to analyze this atoms and
molecules in the gas phase. If this is correct, the box must be big enough
for the PW basis and to ensure the molecule/atom does not interact with its
own images if PBC is activated. A cubic cell of 15 Angstroms should be
enough, if your system is a big molecule, a big cell may be necessary if
PBC is activated.
You need to do a Geometry Optimization to reach a minimum. In the case of
Atoms, you do not need it, and with atoms you can not found vibrational
modes. With an optimized geometry do the vibrational analysis.

The PBC is applied in the cases when you want to simulate a continuum
system, as solids or liquids systems. If you want to simulate a big
molecule in the gas phase, desactivate PBC.

Regards