[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12777] Negative frequencies in vibrational analysis

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 18:41:38 UTC 2020

Hi,

If you're interested in pursuing the PBC route, you'll want to create a box
like the one attached. Start by downloading a structure for your matrix
from https://materialsproject.org/. You'll want to ensure you're using a
structure corresponding to the correct space group. Insert your molecule in
the box. Perform a GEO_OPT (ion relaxation) then a CELL_OPT (lattice + ion
relaxation, use fixed angles though since you should expect a cubic
structure). Then do your vibrational analysis. A minimum energy structure
will have 0 negative/imaginary frequencies.

Alternatively, you can delete all but the nearest Ar atoms and run in gas
phase (basically what you're doing now). Run GEO_OPT, then vibrations.

-T