[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14337] Re: Spin Contamination

ma...@gmail.com mario... at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:32:19 UTC 2020

For anyone who reads this thread! It seems that it is possible to calculate
the spin contamination value manually. One needs to include the
eigenvectors into the CP2K output by adding the PRINT statement to the DFT
block and print out the eigenvectors
(https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-6_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/PRINT/MO.html#EIGENVECTORS).
I also specified the multiplicity of the calculation explicitly in the
input.

The equation for the calculation of spin contamination is described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_contamination . And the eigenvectors are
used to calculate the last term in the equation - I believe it is the sum
of the overlap between the occupied alpha and beta orbitals. The overlap
can be found by multiplying each alpha eigenvector with the corresponding
beta eigenvector and then adding the results together.

I added an example of how to do it as an attachment.

Best Regards,
Mario