[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12213] Re: Spin Polaization in Kohn-Sham calculations

Ronald Cohen rco... at carnegiescience.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:21:14 UTC 2019

Dear Juerg,

Thank you so much. Here is what I get using the latest version on github:

When I have in the input:
     UKS  T
#     MULTIPLICITY  3
     RELAX_MULTIPLICITY 3

&KIND O2
       BASIS_SET DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH-q6
       ELEMENT O
       POTENTIAL GTH-PBE-q6
       &POTENTIAL
2 4
0.2445543000000000E+00 2 -0.1666721480000000E+02  0.2487311320000000E+01
2
0.2209559200000000E+00 1  0.1833745811000000E+02
0.2113324700000000E+00 0
       &END POTENTIAL
       MAGNETIZATION 2
     &END KIND

The output shows:

DFT| Multiplicity                                                             1
DFT| Number of spin states                                                    2

 Spin 1

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
 Number of occupied orbitals:                                                 38
 Number of molecular orbitals:                                                40

 Spin 2

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
 Number of occupied orbitals:                                                 38
 Number of molecular orbitals:                                                40

 Number of orbital functions:                                                210
 Number of independent orbital functions:                                    210

and this number of electrons is repeated, even though there is a moment:

 grep -B 3 "Number of electrons:" Opt.out
 Spin 1

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 Spin 2

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 Spin 1

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 Spin 2

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 Spin 1

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 Spin 2

 Number of electrons:                                                         38
--

 …

When I have this in the input:

     UKS  T
     MULTIPLICITY  3
     RELAX_MULTIPLICITY 3

I see:

DFT| Multiplicity                                                             3
 DFT| Number of spin states                                                    2

and

grep -B 1 -A 2 "Re-scal" Opt.out.1
 Spin 1
 Re-scaling the density matrix to get the right number of electrons for spin 1
                  # Electrons              Trace(P)               Scaling factor
                           39                40.000                        0.975
--
 Spin 2
 Re-scaling the density matrix to get the right number of electrons for spin 2
[...]

So it seems it is rescaling over and over? Or is there just a problem with the printout?
Thank you again,

Ron

---
Ronald Cohen