[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12214] Re: Spin Polaization in Kohn-Sham calculations

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthi... at psi.ch
Thu Sep 12 13:01:42 UTC 2019

Dear Ron

Please, could you provide the full input file for testing. A value of 3 Hartree for RELAX_MULTIPLICITY is most likely inappropriate. The argument of that keyword is not the (preferred) multiplicity but an energy tolerance allowing for a spin flip between alpha and beta electrons. The assumed multiplicity should still be given via the MULTIPLICITY keyword. In the case of O2 starting with an initial (guessed) multiplicity of 1, the spin flip should happen already in the first SCF iteration step and it should not change thereafter.

You should check the output line starting with “Ideal and single determinant S**2” for the final multiplicity. I get for a gas phase O2 molecule starting with
MULTPLICITY 1
RELAX_MULTIPLICTY 0.01
something like:
Ideal and single determinant S**2 :                    2.000000       2.000784
which looks reasonable to me.

HTH

Matthias