[CP2K-user] [CP2K:10927] GAPW convergence for Cu and Ni

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Nov 12 08:20:26 UTC 2018

Hi

there are a few parameters that determine the numerical accuracy
of a GAPW calculation. We tried to pick good default values for
them, but it is well possible that for certain elements/basis set
combinations they do not work.
HARD_EXP_RADIUS sets the GAPW atomic sphere radius. The smaller
this value the higher the PW cutoff you will need. It shifts
the border between the soft and hard part of the basis set.
The same is also true for EPSFIT. This parameter sets the accuracy
of the fitting of the different densities at the GAPW sphere radius.
For heavy elements EPSISO can also be of importance (determines which
basis functions are completely within the GAPW sphere).

Usually, one can see the sensitivity of a calculation by changing these
parameters and then search for stable values.

best

Juerg Hutter
Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland