[CP2K-user] GAPW convergence for Cu and Ni

Maxime Van den Bossche maxime.cp.v... at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 15:52:13 UTC 2018

Dear all,

I would like to use the GAPW method in CP2K to study
(late) transition metal clusters, as it would offer
quite an increase in speed compared to GPW (because
GAPW requires less high plane-wave cutoffs for dealing
with such "harder" pseudopotentials).

I had no problems performing GAPW runs for fifth- and
sixth-row elements (Pd, Ag, Pt, Au), but for the
fourth-row ones (Ni, Cu), I ran into severe SCF
convergence problems (strongly oscillatory behaviour).

I managed to create a minimal example, involving just
the Cu dimer, where this behaviour is also present
(see attached input and output files). In this particular
case, the SCF does converge when using the DIRECT_P_MIXING
mixing scheme, but this solution is not applicable to
my original problem, where I need e.g. Broyden mixing.

I then found that lowering the HARD_EXP_RADIUS parameter
to 1.2 Bohr radii or below (compared to the default value
of 1.512) makes the SCF cycle converge without problems.
I realize that the GAPW mode is still a bit more "experimental"
compared to GPW, so I'm fine with having to tinker with
such parameters, but I wanted to check with you:

Does it indeed make sense to you that the default value for
HARD_EXP_RADIUS is not appropriate here? Would this e.g.
be related to the shorter 3d-orbital radius for Cu compared to
Ag-4d and Au-5d?

Best regards,
Maxime