[CP2K:9886] Very short metal-H distances from IC-QM/MM

Maxime Van den Bossche maxime.cp.v... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:43:26 UTC 2018

Dear Dorothea,

Thanks a lot for attending this issue (and for your efforts in
developing and implementing this method)! I hadn't noticed
that the figure in your paper was also showing the presence
of such short Pt-H distances.

So I'll conclude that this behaviour is a shortcoming of
the Siepmann-Sprik potential (at least in the current,
canonical parametrization). As I'm not really comfortable
with such a discrepancy between the QM/MM and full-QM
results, I think I will be trying to amend the potential.

Could you further clarify why the cell size would be too
small for IC-QM/MM calculations? Do you mean too small
to be relevant to real interfaces? Then I agree, but this is
just a test, and I would expect these short Pt-H distances
to also occur in larger cells (as you found yourself) --
if I replicate the structure in the X and Y directions, for
example, I assume I would be getting the same result.
Or do you mean something else?

Best,
Maxime