[CP2K:9886] Very short metal-H distances from IC-QM/MM

Dorothea Golze dorothe... at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 18 19:13:49 UTC 2018

Hi Maxime,

there is most likely nothing wrong with the force field implementation etc.
I ran quite a few simulations with the Siepmann-Sprik forcefield + image
charge setup and did not encounter any problems so far.
Some explanations:
The Pt-O distance is approximately 2.4 Angstrom with the Siepmann-Sprik
force field (see https://doi.org/10.1063/1.469429 Tab. 1). In most cases,
the O-H bonds are roughly parallel to the surface or point away from it.
However, in some cases the H atoms point towards the surface, and in this
case the Pt-H bond is only 1.5 Angstrom. This is demonstrated in Figure 11
(d) in https://doi.org/10.1021/ct400698y .The onset of the red curve is
already at 1.5 Angstrom (but the peak is at 2.4 Angstrom, so most Pt-H
distances are 2.4 Angstrom).
Another important point, your "super-cell" is only 3x4 gold atoms. That's
way too small. Might be that you also see some more funny effects due to
this.

Your points above

>a) ... something is wrong in my input? I also got the
       same results with narrower Gaussians for the image
       charge distributions (5 Å^-2 instead of 3.5 Å^-2).

No, it is also correct that you see the same results with different IC
Gaussian widths (that's good) . Keep the default.

>b) ... this is related to the Siepmann-Sprik potential
       parameters? I couldn't find previous works, though,
       (such as this forum, the original paper, or the
       implementation paper) reporting such behaviour.
       But if this is the cause, I could just add a short-
       ranged repulsive potential to the Pt-H interaction
       or maybe modify the Phi function in Eq 3 of the
       original paper. Could it be that one really needs
       to reparametrize the potential because of the
       differences between DFT-water and SPC/E-water?
Of course you can always reparametrize if you wish, however, I think there
is not actually a problem, see above.

>c) ... this is related to the implementation of the
       Siepmann-Sprik potential and/or image charges
       in CP2K?
>d) ... something else?
see above

Best regards,