[CP2K:9891] Very short metal-H distances from IC-QM/MM

Dorothea Golze dorothe... at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:38:10 UTC 2018

Dear Maxime,

>>So I'll conclude that this behaviour is a shortcoming of
>>the Siepmann-Sprik potential (at least in the current,
>>canonical parametrization). As I'm not really comfortable
>>with such a discrepancy between the QM/MM and full-QM
>>results, I think I will be trying to amend the potential.

In the Siepmann-Sprik potential there is a term that depends on the
orientation of the dipole vector of the water molecule; Equation (1) and
Equation(3) in  https://doi.org/10.1063/1.469429 The purpose of this term
is to direct the hydrogens away from the surface.
If you want to change the behavior of the potential, then you have to
modify this term. But as I said, during MD runs it is a rare event that the
hydrogen point toward the surface.

>>Could you further clarify why the cell size would be too
>>small for IC-QM/MM calculations? Do you mean too small
>>to be relevant to real interfaces? Then I agree, but this is
>>just a test, and I would expect these short Pt-H distances
>>to also occur in larger cells (as you found yourself) --
>>if I replicate the structure in the X and Y directions, for
>>example, I assume I would be getting the same result.
>>Or do you mean something else?

Well, if you just want to see if the code runs through it's fine. For
anything else (e.g. testing of bonding distances) I would not trust the
results. But yes, these short distances can occur  for "H-down" water
molecules. However, these "H-down" structures have been also observed by
full DFT calculations and experiments, see
https://journals.aps.org/prl/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevLett.89.276102.

Best regards,
Dorothea