[CP2K-user] PERIODIC_EFIELD does not work with Mixing

M. Brehm brehmin... at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 09:04:30 UTC 2018

@Anton: Thanks for citing this part of the manual, I was missing this. Then
it is not even a bug, but simply a non-feature...

I tried to compute semiconducting or metallic systems many times with OT,
but in most cases I did not have success (even with PRECONDITIONER FULL_ALL
together with ENERGY_GAP 0.001 and LINE_SEARCH GOLD). In these cases, I
believe one won't be able to do it without smearing...

@Juerg: Thanks for having a look. After you mentioned it, I now do remember
that the Berry phase formalism only works with fully occupied/unoccupied
MOs. That's a pity. Then it probably won't be possible to compute systems
with metallic regions with &PERIODIC_EFIELD (even if the metallic region is
non-periodic, such as a solvated cluster). I assume one would have to use
the non-periodic &EFIELD then...

Best regards,
Martin