some questions about Adsorption energy of Nickel atom/cluster on oxide surfaces

Amin amin.jaf... at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 12:33:10 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I'm new to CP2K and I want to measure adsorption energy of Ni atom (in
further steps, cluster) on some oxide surfaces. Here are my questions:

1. When I try to calculate Energy of single Ni atom in gas phase by using
Diagonalization method, it works with MULTIPLICITY 1, but once I set the
MULTIPLICITY to 3, it doesn't converge. (Please check my input file below).
I was wondering what's the reason for that? and how can I overcome this
problem.

2. Is that reliable to calculate the energy of Ni atom/cluster with
Diagonalization but the energy of complex (Ni on oxide surface) with OT and
then compare them together to achieve the adsorption energy of metal? Do I
need to use same method for all of the calculations? even if there is just
one single Ni atom adsorbed on the surface?

3. the same question for POISSON_SOLVER: is that OK to use different
Poisson solvers for metal atom/cluster and the complex? or again I need to
use the same solvers to achieve the correct amount for adsorption energy?

I would highly appreciate your advises.

P.S:Here is my input file for the calculation of single Ni atom:
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT  m-Ni
  RUN_TYPE GEO_OPT
  PRINT_LEVEL LOW