Nonperiodic Poisson solvers

Jadzia c.gor... at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 13:29:47 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

I am trying to simulate a system with an isolated molecule, therefore I
need a non-periodic setup. I have read the previous posts about the topic,
but there are a number of questions open. They are both for the wavelet and
the MT Poisson solver.

*1) System size*
My simulations will be quite long (both MM and QM) and due to the movement
of the molecule, to my understanding it needs to be avoided that molecule
leaves the box. Will it be fine if I set the box size to 1000 Angstrom or
is this not recommended?

*2) Periodic cells*
This question is closely related to question 1). If I set the Poisson
solver to non-periodic, could one set the CELL to periodic, and thus solve
the problem that the molecule leaves the box?

*3) Ewald methods*
Also closely related to question 1). If I set the box size to 1000, even
with Ewald as Poisson solver the system should be effectively non-periodic
due to the large distance, right? Would this be a plausible alternative to
the MT or wavelet solvers?

*4) Mixed force evaluations*
In the case that I have a mixed force evaluation setup and use the Wavelet
solver (see the config file below), do I need to include the
&CENTER_COORDINATES section also in the mixed force eval section, or only
in the real force evaluation section?

*5) MT solver for periodic systems*
Is the MT solver only for nonperiodic systems in CP2K, or does it also work
for periodic systems? In the publication it is at least written it works
for periodic systems and even with ewald/spme.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Jadzia

&GLOBAL
  PROJECT system
  RUN_TYPE md
  PRINT_LEVEL medium
&END global
&MOTION
  &MD
    ENSEMBLE langevin
    &LANGEVIN
      GAMMA [fs^-1] 1.0E-3                        # "Langevin" gamma (adapt
for your system)
    &END LANGEVIN
    STEPS 5000000
    TIMESTEP 0.5