Fully periodic QM/MM simulations

Matt W mattwa... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 10:26:23 UTC 2017

Hi again,

sorry I don't really have time to give long enough replies to be clear, so
perhaps a bit confusing.

QM-QM coupling is not needed in your case - your QM box is the same size as
the QMMM box. It calculates multipole moments of the QM charge distribution
and subtracts artificial interactions if the QM box is smaller than QMMM
and adds back in correct ones.

QM-MM long range interactions as you say are the about including the ewald
summed potential from the classical part - I think that this is not
possible except using E_COUPL = GAUSS, which in turn requires DFT. See the
paper from Laio et al for details.

There are several different QMMM methods available, and they have different
ranges of applicability.

Matt