Fully periodic QM/MM simulations

Jadzia c.gor... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 8 09:04:02 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

@Matt: Thank you very much for the clarification, it was helpful.

Since full QM/MM periodicity is not possible, I now would like to get the
QM/MM simulation of water working without QM/MM periodicity, but with
electrostatic embedding (E_COUPL = COULOMB). The QM method is still DFTB3.
And I have tried almost everything to get it working, but my water
molecules still fall apart.
I have tried...

   - different GMAX values in the EWALD section
   - different ALPHA values in the EWALD section
   - different O_SPLINE values in the EWALD section
   - the QM part completely without electrostatics (no POISSON section)
   - DFTB3 with and without dispersion correction
   - different time step sizes
   - Standard BOMD and second generation CPMD
   - ...

Nothing seems to really solve the problem. I have also tried more things
such as mechanical embedding with and without QM/MM periodicity.

Here is a link to a sample input package which can be started directly, all
files included:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Ij17NhUNZoeUpETFJhS1hpbFE

Any help I would greatly appreciate.

Many thanks,