Fully periodic QM/MM simulations

Jadzia c.gor... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 09:29:45 UTC 2017

Thank you for your answer Matt.

Since error messages can be very helpful if they are precise, I would like
summarize my understanding so far related to the error message I have
gotten:

QM-QM long range correction not possible with COULOMB coupling.

Firstly, from what you wrote I implicitly conclude that the periodic
section which I have added to my input file went into the direction of what
you had in mind when you wrote about including the coupling of the QM
region with the periodic MM images. In this case the above error message
which I got seems to be not fully suitable since I had disabled the QM-QM
long range correction (i.e. the MULTIPOLE section). To my understanding
(which is admittedly incomplete) the problem might be of a more general
nature and summarized as follows: *QM/MM long range correction not possible
with COULOMB coupling*
because it seems to cover both cases QM-MM and optionally also QM-QM long
term corrections (if the multipole section is not switched off) for the QM
region.

Secondly, the error message seems to be to general in another aspect,
because you wrote that QM/MM periodic couplings are possible with DFT (and
Coulomb coupling I guess), in which case the statement would only hold for
certain QM methods.