Bulk potential energy by different methods

Sebastian Hütter sebastia... at ovgu.de
Mon Jun 5 12:57:51 UTC 2017

Hi,

16 calculations with different parameter combinations later, I think this
works now.

LDA is known to overbind (as a general rule), first paper I found in a
search gives 24% overbinding (Al_cohesive
<https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/871/1/Ab%20initio%20calculations%20of%20the%20cohesive.pdf>).

That turned out to be true here, as well. Switching from a PADE to PBE
functional basically solved the problem, regardless of the other changes
tried.

DZVP understimates the cohesive energy, TZVP hits it a bit better. The
difference is only a 1-2% though.

Using &MGRIDS in real space (with the supercell size as in the file above)
and k-points (reasonably converged around 15x15x15 MP grid, ran with
25x25x25 for good measure) gives almost identical results. Only important
thing: the wavefunctions appear to be complex valued, I had by chance
copy-pasted a "WAVEFUNCTIONS REAL" keyword, that gives wildly wrong results.

The isolated atom's energy is unsurprisigly not affected by any of that.

I learned a lot here, thank you! Can this be taken as a general rule? I
mean, it's easier here to see what works and what doesn't because we known
the expected results, but if we didn't?

Regards,

Sebastian