Bulk potential energy by different methods

Matt W mattwa... at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 20:34:56 UTC 2017

Hi again,

likely the largest problems are Basis Set Superposition Error (BSSE), using
the LDA approximation for DFT and finite size effects.

LDA is known to overbind (as a general rule), first paper I found in a
search gives 24% overbinding (Al_cohesive
<https://spiral.imperial.ac.uk/bitstream/10044/1/871/1/Ab%20initio%20calculations%20of%20the%20cohesive.pdf>
).

I would have expected your number to be too large, as the BSSE also
overbinds, but this is due to the incomplete basis set, rather than level
of theory. This suggests that your cell is not large enough to converge
energies (as Matthias suggests).

Try using the bigger TZVP basis set (in MOLOPT_UCL) and see how that
changes things. Then see if you can increase supercell size, or try running
with k-points.

Matt