Problem in MC simulation of cyclic molecules (CP2K 3.0)

robert.... at gmail.com robert.... at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:00:22 UTC 2017

Dear all,

I am trying to perform Monte Carlo simulation on cyclic molecules in the
gas-phase (intended for conformational analysis). I have attached the
corresponding input and the topology, this is a test simulation on
cyclopentane. The first energy evaluation is working perfectly fine but
when the first MC step is about to be carried out, the calculation stops
doing anything. The calculation is not crashing initially, only after a few
hours at that stage without any visible progress in the calculation (but
overall memory usage is very high) and I don't get an error message that I
could work with. I have the same problem on several other molecules, all
cyclic. When I use the exact same input on a different acylic molecule, I
tested for instance propane, but also others, everything is working
perfectly fine and the 1000 MC steps are finished within minutes. I have
tried to figure out what the problem could be but haven't a solution yet.
Does anyone have an idea what could go wrong here? Thank you in advance for
any help.

Robert