Geometry Optimisation of Large Charged Systems

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 20:48:22 UTC 2015

Hi Olivia,

Mg2+ is nearly pathological if you use the default q10 pseudo and the GPW
method. It needs a plane wave cutoff of around 1200 Ry or so to start
getting reasonable answers. If you are sticking with non-hybrid
functionals, like PBE, then try using the GAPW method (QS/METHOD section)
and see if that helps. A cutoff of around 350 Ry should give well converged
numbers then.

Matt