Metadynamics Questions: COLVARs yielding unexpected values.

Christopher O'Brien cjobr... at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 00:10:13 UTC 2015

CP2K users,
I am obtaining very unexpected results from the COLVARS of the METADYNAMICS
module. I had to piece together an input from the mail list and what I
could learn from the manual, but I think I have all of the relevant
additional input required for METADYNAMICS. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

I am obtaining very large COLVAR distances for variable 1 and entirely too
small ones for variable 2. COLVAR 1 should be around 1.7A, but it ranges
from 7.99 to 11.17 (Bohr?). COLVAR 2 should be about 1.5A, but it appears
to vary from 3.621-6.252 (Bohr?). (Coordination, COLVAR 3, varies from -0.2
to 0.3, but I have not idea what it should be). The range of distances were
reported in by the fes.sopt code which I ran with the options:
fes.sopt -ndim 3 -find-minima -cp2k -file xxx.restart

I am also interested to learn if METADYNAMICS can be restarted. There are a
lot of unexplained keywords that have something to do with restarting
METADYNAMICS in the manual, but I don't know if we have to use them.

I have included the relevant section from the &MOTION input section and the
&FORCE_EVAL/&SUBSYS input section below:

&MOTION
   &FREE_ENERGY

   METHOD METADYN

   &METADYN

    DO_HILLS .TRUE.

    WW [hartree] 1.0E-3

    NT_HILLS 15

    &METAVAR

     COLVAR 1

     SCALE 0.08

    &END METAVAR

    &METAVAR

     COLVAR 2

     SCALE 0.08

    &END METAVAR

    &METAVAR

     COLVAR 3

     SCALE 0.08

    &END METAVAR

    &PRINT

    &COLVAR MEDIUM
      &EACH

        METADYNAMICS 1

        MD 15

      &END EACH

      FILENAME xxx_colvar

     &END COLVAR

    &END PRINT

   &END METADYN

   &FREE_ENERGY_INFO MEDIUM

     &EACH

       METADYNAMICS 1

       MD 15

     &END EACH

     FILENAME xxx_freeenergy

   &END FREE_ENERGY_INFO

  &END FREE_ENERGY

&END MOTION

And the &SUBSYS section containing the COLVARS:
  &SUBSYS

    &CELL

      ABC 12.97658 12.90794 12.97688

      PERIODIC XYZ

    &END CELL

    &COLVAR

     !P to F

     &DISTANCE

      ATOMS 11 17

     &END DISTANCE

    &END COLVAR

    &COLVAR

     !P to O

     &DISTANCE

      ATOMS 11 9

     &END DISTANCE

    &END COLVAR

    &COLVAR

     !see 10.1021/jp301490k for ND NN R0 parameter meaning

     ! P to O in water

     &COORDINATION

      ND 12

      NN 6