charge restrained MD

Miłosz Wieczór milaft... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:03:52 UTC 2014

Hello cp2k users,

I'm trying to set up a charge restrained QM/MM MD simulation for a pair of
QM molecules embedded in TIP3P water. The two molecules can undergo charge
transfer from a (neutral + radical) to (anion radical + cation) state, and
ideally I would like to be able to force the spin density to localize on
one chosen molecule rather than on the other. I imagined that if I restrain
the charge of the first molecule to -1, it will become an anion radical
instead of a neutral molecule.

Anyway, I ran into trouble with technical details. The topic is poorly
documented so far, so I did some tests with BECKE_RESTRAINT,
DDAPC_RESTRAINT and MULLIKEN_RESTRAINT, and arrived at following results:

With BECKE_RESTRAINT, I could obtain the desired spin density distribution
and produce the .cube file, but the program crashed with a segfault and no
specific error before the first MD step was done (after the charge
populations, densities on regular grids and decoupling energy are reported).

With DDAPC_RESTRAINT, the restraint didn't seem to do anything to the
system, although MD could proceed with no problem (same parameters as with
BECKE, only the type of restraint changed).

With MULLIKEN_RESTRAINT, the Mulliken populations look as desired and the
MD goes on, but when I visualize the .cube files, I don't see any effect of
the restraint imposed (the density resides entirely on the second molecule)
-- which can be an artifact of the specific population analysis method.

Could anyone explain to me the differences between these approaches, and
what can cause the crashes with BECKE? Also, should I use
BECKE/DDAPC_RESTRAINT_A/B in conjunction with BECKE/DDAPC_RESTRAINT, or are
they mutually exclusive? I will be grateful for any piece of advise.

In case there are any incompatibilities in the parameters, I attached the
input file I used for BECKE_RESTRAINT. In other approaches, everything
except for the restraint secton remained the same.

Kind regards,
-Miłosz