reaction energies and box sizes

Geoffrey Wood ge.f... at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 22:58:11 UTC 2014

Hello everyone.

I'm a little bit confused as what to do with the energy convergence as a
function of box size when computing reaction energies.

For example using the BLYP functional and the TZVP-MOLOPT-GTH basis set and
a cut off of 1200 Ry (an example of the input deck that I used is attached)
I computed the energy for the Cl atom (neutral) as a function of the box
size. This converges at about 12 Angstroms but there are oscillations and
the minimum actually  at 7 Angstroms, well before convergence (see attached
spreadsheet.

My question for the community is if you are computing a  reaction energy,
say:

A  + B =  AB

do you

a) use consistent Box sizes for all species?
b) use the minimum energy found as a function of box size for all three
species?
c) the converged energy as a function of box size (even though this may not
be the minimum) for all three species?

Thanks, Geoff.