why MAX SCF=1 when tests the cutoff and rel cutoff for the convergence in the tutorial?

Leopold Talirz leopold... at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:06:13 UTC 2014

Dear Jingyun,

just in order to make it clear to other readers -- you are referring to the
tutorial http://cp2k.org/howto:converging_cutoff on the CP2K website
entitled "How to converge the CUTOFF and REL_CUTOFF".

I think you raise a valid point here that would deserve attention from one
of the many experts on this forum (and maybe a small update of the
tutorial).

One problem I see is that there are two possible meanings of "convergence"
here, which may lead to misunderstandings.
Most users will be interested in converging physical properties of their
system up to a given accuracy. These properties will of course be based on
self-consistently obtained calculations.
However, this tutorial seems to concentrate more on converging the
representation of the Gaussians on the real-space grid, which is defined
completely by the basis set/pseudo potentials.

As far as I can see, the total energy is calculated here based on the
initial "atomic guess" for the wave functions.
In order to link the convergence observed for this energy to the
convergence of the self-consistently obtained energy, one would have to
assume that no significant shift between "sharp" and "smooth" gaussians
occurs during the self-consistency iterations.
While this may be the case, it should certainly be mentioned explicitly at
some point in the tutorial.
One may also ask, why it is necessary in this case to use 8 Si atoms
instead of just a single one.

Similar questions apply for the definition of the convergence criterion. In
the tutorial, the choice of 250Ry is motivated as follows:

[...] *the total energy is converged, and the distribution of Gaussian
functions on the grids are reasonable: it is the lowest cutoff energy where
the finest grid level is used, but at the same time with the majority of
the Gaussians on the coarser grids.*

In this particular case, only 2.5% of all Gaussians are on the finest grid.
Taking this as a criterion for a calculation involving carbon with the
TZV2P-MOLOPT-GTH basis set and GTH-PBE-q4 pseudo potential, I would need to
go to a cutoff of more than 1500 Ry (with 60Ry relative cutoff) in order to
have this few Gaussians on the finest grid.

While this may indeed be necessary to properly represent the sharpest
Gaussians in the basis set and to converge the total energy to a level of
10^-8 Hartree, many real-world applications might not require this level of
accuracy.

Best,
Leopold