XAS at the 2p edge

Johannes Niskanen johannes... at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:54:04 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to calculate 2p XAS with CP2K. I use all-electron basis set for
the atom to be excited, whereas other atoms have pseudopotentials, which
makes identification of orbitals a bit easier, as I can always count 1 to 5
from snapshot to snapshot.

However I was wondering whether I get the matrix elements as an average
over all the 3 states or only for one of them. My input reads
   &XAS T
      XAS_METHOD TP_HH
      EPS_DIIS 1.0
      MAXSTEP 100
      STATE_TYPE 2P # Type of the orbitas that are excited for the xas
spectra calculation (default = 1s)
      ATOMS_LIST  1 # Indexes of the atoms to be excited.
      STATE_SEARCH 5 # of states where to look for the one to be excited
(default = 1)
      ADDED_MOS 100 # Number of additional MOS added spin up only (default
= 1)
      &LOCALIZE T
        LIST  1 2 3 4 5
      &END LOCALIZE
    &END XAS

If I get the amplitudes only for one of the nearly degenerate 2p orbitals,
how would I be able to do calculations all of them? Putting 3 or 4 in state
search does not work, tried that.

Naturally I will add spin orbit splitting ad hoc afterwards, but I would
first need to know a working input for amplitudes for ALL 3 of the 2p
levels.

Thanks for help in advance,

Johannes Niskanen, PhD
Department of Physics