Strange behaviour by molecule in Electric field

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 18:14:32 UTC 2013

Hi,

You make a very good point! Now for your argument to hold your system needs
to be translationally invariant. There are two reasons (at least) why it is
not.

(i) the EFIELD is non periodic (i.e. a saw tooth), so there is a huge field
at the cell edge. You need to centre your molecule in the box.
(ii) your CUTOFF is not truly sufficient if you really want to see the
molecule stay centred - there's a post from Flo discussing this concerning
vibrational analysis from a month or so ago, but this is a minor point.

BUT, I think you have also identified a bug. According to me, there is an
inconsistency between the way forces due to the field act on atoms cores
and electrons.

changing line 233 (or thereabouts) of efield_utils.F to

force(ikind)%efield(:,iatom)=force(ikind)%efield(:,iatom)-field*zeff

i.e. changing the sign of the forces on the cores, seems to give good
conservation of force in my quick tests (plus comments above). You'll have
to recompile, of course.

Let us know if this seems to work for you (it is possible that the force on
the electrons rather than the core should be inverted, but at the moment
they are both being pushed in the same direction).

Matt