[CP2K:3800] Re: outside the box

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 20:05:01 UTC 2012

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 3:36:18 PM UTC-4, steve t wrote:

> yes, i understand that i can wrap everything into one cell but it would
> just be easier to check intermediate and final geometries if there were a
> way to have CP2K output geometries of both molecules in the same cell.  or,
> is there a visualization package that works well with CP2K?

what works well depends a lot on what file formats you use
and how proficient you are in using the corresponding viz tool.
i use VMD in combination with psf + dcd format files and
wrapping coordinates is just one call to an bundled plugin.

however, it is often better to just enable periodic display
and get a better feel for how periodic boundaries would
affect the calculation, too.

> BTW, everything stays in the parent cell when alpha=beta=gamma=90 deg, so
> i wonder why it's different when alpha=beta=90 deg, gamma=120 deg.

the way downhill may be shorter and steeper,
when going to the neighboring cell?
hard to tell with only a vague description.

axel.