optimisation problem of F compound

Jörg Saßmannshausen jorg.sassm... at strath.ac.uk
Thu Apr 23 16:12:16 UTC 2009

Dear all,

I am struggling to optimise a molecular structure with a F atom in it.
Whereas I manage to get the optimisation converged, the frequency
calculation clearly indicates I am not at the local minimum. Replacing
the F atom in the molecule with H (and leave everything else the same)
results in a converged structure. I got the gutt-feeling that the
problem is the basis set / pseudopotential I am using for F. Would
somebody mind to give me a helping hand here?

I have enclosed the following files:
- mol file of the frequency calculation (so you see what I mean)
- force_eval section
- subsys section
- fluor-geo.inp
- fluor-freq.inp

I had no problems with the molecule using a different program, so I am
quite confident about the structure. Note: it is a cation, I left the
anion out for computational reasons.

Thanks for your help!

Jörg

Jörg Saßmannshausen
Research Fellow
University of Strathclyde
Department of Pure and Applied Chemistry
295 Cathedral St.
Glasgow
G1 1XL

email: jorg.sassm... at strath.ac.uk