hybrid DFT for bulk

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 22:23:40 UTC 2008

On Jul 25, 3:38 pm, molecule <san... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Juerg,
>
> Your are absolutely right. The correct result should be something
> slightly below -4 a.u. because the binding energy is small.
> Actually, I just did a g03 calculation using
> 2916 k points, and the result becomes -4.564a.u. which is very
> close to the cp2k result, -4.426a.u., with \Gamma only! Is this
> surprising?

my guess is that in both cases you are getting something
that looks reasonable more or less by chance.

the common wisdom about new features in gaussian (e.g. periodicity,
k-points) is that it takes at least one major release until they
work reasonably well (provided a lot of people are using those
features).

as far as cp2k goes, you should keep in mind that you should not
use a feature that is "under heavy developement" and "incomplete"
unless you are willing _and_ able to dig into the source code and
help with completing the implementation and testing it.

cheers,
    axel.