[CP2K:1246] Re: hybrid DFT for bulk

Juerg Hutter hut... at pci.uzh.ch
Mon Jul 28 12:09:06 UTC 2008

Hi

> Your are absolutely right. The correct result should be something
> slightly below -4 a.u. because the binding energy is small.
> Actually, I just did a g03 calculation using
> 2916 k points, and the result becomes -4.564a.u. which is very
> close to the cp2k result, -4.426a.u., with \Gamma only! Is this
> surprising?

No. Currently CP2K calculates integrals using 1/r but truncates
the infinite sum of integrals. As mentioned in an earlier post this
can lead to instabilities for small unit cells. However, at what
size of unit cell this approach is problematic, cannot be said
beforehand. That this approach works has been shown by
Challacomb et al. and also in our recent paper in JCP.
Still we think that one can do better, and we are working on that.

> Is the more reasonable cp2k result due to the error cancellation
> between the lack of long-range exact exchange and the \Gamma-only
> k-sampling? or some special techniques are applied in cp2k?

No. I wouldn't call this error cancelation. We are making several
well defined approximations. The HFX term is rather small and
the difference between your converged (?) k-point sampling and
the cp2k gamma point value is still large.

Another comment. I assume that you know how to correctly use
the HFX in cp2k. You have certainly checked that you correctly
understand all the keywords by for example testing on small
isolated molecules.

regards

Juerg