[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20717] Re: out of memory: C3N4 (56 atoms) HES06 + RI-HFX + ADMM

Frederick Stein f.stein at hzdr.de
Mon Sep 16 06:18:57 UTC 2024

Due to my lack of experience, I can just guess from my knowledge on RI
methods, the manual and what I was told by the developer. Please also
consider the respective manual page:
https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/XC/HF/RI.html#CP2K_INPUT.FORCE_EVAL.DFT.XC.HF.RI
.
- Change RI_METRIC to TRUNCATED and CUTOFF_RADIUS in the &RI section to a
value between 1.0 and 2.0 . Lower values improve sparsity, larger values
increase accuracy. The shortrange Coulomb metric has a rather large range.
If you would like to stick to it, set the OMEGA parameter of the &RI
section to a value larger then 0.11 (let's say 1-10).
- Just for testing, try a single k-point.
- Try other values of MEMORY_CUT in &RI. Larger values (try 10) should
decrease the block sizes. I do not really know how it works but it does
have an effect on memory usage.
- Increase EPS_FILTER in &RI to a larger value (double-check later whether
you have to decrease it again).
If nothing of my suggestions work and the developer of the feature does not
chime in, it may be that you do not have enough memory.
Best,
Frederick