[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20004] Inquiry on ROKS Calculation Schemes within CP2K

Lukas Razinkovas lukasrazinkovas at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 09:03:42 UTC 2024

Dear Prof. Jurg,

Thank you for your response. I am currently exploring ROKS schemes to model
excited state potential energy surfaces and have several questions to
improve my understanding:

   1. Does the LOW_SPIN_ROKS approach derive from your collaboration with
   Imgrad in the study "Molecular dynamics in low-spin excited states" [J.
   Chem. Phys. 108, 10 (1998)], and its subsequent extension to accommodate
   any number of unpaired electrons [Chem. Phys. 373, 283 (2010)]?
   2. In my investigation, I calculated the quartet to doublet excitation
   energy using the von Barth/spin projection method combined with UKS,
   yielding results remarkably close to experimental data. However,
   LOW_SPIN_ROKS calculations yielded energies significantly higher than
   expected. Considering I am examining localized defect states (d orbitals of
   Chromium) in a crystal environment, localized orbitals might shift above
   the conduction band minimum. This scenario could misrepresent the
   configuration as (a b CBM) rather than the intended (a b c). Is there a way
   to investigate single-particle states within LOW_SPIN_ROKS calculations to
   address this concern?
   3. Upon reviewing Filatov's publication (Chem. Phys. Letter 288, 689
   (1998)), I understand it lays the foundation for a formal multi-determinant
   state approach within ROKS. This approach appears to be activated through
   the "ROKS_SCHEME GENERAL" setting. However, looking at the code,
   specifically "SUBROUTINE combine_ks_matrices_2," suggests its current
   implementation is limited to single-determinant solutions due to the
   absence of iterations over energy scaling parameters. Could you confirm if
   my observation is accurate?
   4. Lastly, I'd like to know whether the MOM method can be applied to
   HIGH-SPIN or GENERAL schemes. I aim to model spin-contaminated
   configurations such as |a b \bar{c}|, which seem unattainable with the
   MULTIPLICITY 2 keyword since it strictly enforces a |a \bar{a} b|
   configuration.

I appreciate your time and look forward to your replies.

Best regards,

Lukas