[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20523] Re: COORDINATION CV with restrictions

T deJ t.f.d.j99 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 13:17:32 UTC 2024

Hi Tugwell,

You can constrain a coordination number (CN) CV with the CONSTRAINT section
under MOTION and the COLVAR section in FORCE_EVAL/SUBSYS, The COLVAR
section can be specified as follows:

  &COLVAR
    &COORDINATION
       ATOMS_FROM ${your_c_index}
       ATOMS_TO ${atom1_index} ${atom1_index} ! etc. Space separated
       ! or
       ! KINDS_TO H C
       !
       NN ${your_value}
       ND ${your_value}
       R0 ${your_value}
    &END COORDINATION
  &END COLVAR

Where DN, NN, and R0 should be declared to adapt the switching function to
your needs. You may well want to have 2 different switching functions for
C-C and C-H bonds. You can do this by, e.g., combining 2 CN CV with the
COMBINE_COLVAR function:

  &COLVAR
    &COMBINE_COLVAR
      &COLVAR ! Internal CV1
      &END COLVAR
      &COLVAR ! Internal CV2
      &END COLVAR
      FUNCTION CV1 + CV2 ! Combine the previously defined CVs
      VARIABLES CV1 CV2
     &END COMBINE_COLVAR
  &END COLVAR

Note that the internally defined CVs do not count toward the global COLVAR
numbering

The CV can then be constrained or restrained in the constraint section as
follows:

&MOTION
  &CONSTRAINT
    &COLLECTIVE
      COLVAR 1 ! COLVARS are numbered in the order they  were defined
      INTERMOLECULAR ! Presumably what you need
      TARGET 2 ! !!! This will be dependent of your definition of the
switching function and your purposes
    &END COLLECTIVE
  &END CONSTRAINT
&END MOTION

The lagrange multipliers can be accessed by adding the
&LAGRANGE_MULTIPLIERS subsection in &COLLECTIVE if you want to do
Bluemoon-based thermodynamic integration.

If you only wish to prevent the carbene from coordinating, you could also
use the LOWERWALLS functionality of Plumed (integrated within CP2K during
compilation with certain flags).
As a final note, choosing the CN CV with too many atoms (e.g. through the
use of KINDS_TO) may cause the SHAKE algorithm, which constrains the CV, to
not converge.

Best,
Tjeerd