[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20455] GFN1-XTB for QM/MM

Emma Stevens eestevens7 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 15:47:40 UTC 2024

Hi all,

I'm trying to perform QM/MM umbrella sampling on a small molecule system in
water using semiempirical QM methods in cp2k and gromacs for MD. I keep
running into SCF convergence issues due to bonds to hydrogen atoms breaking
in my QM region and likely leaving the QM cell since semiempirical methods
don't support a periodic QM region.

I've reduced my time step from 1fs to 0.5fs and have tried varying the size
of my QM cell (even up to the full box size) and reducing the KAPPA value
for my two RC constraints.

I've done simulations on the same system using DFT and was not seeing these
issues, so it's possible I'm missing a keyword that's relevant when using
semiempirical methods. My cp2k input file, gromacs mdp file, and plumed
file are attached. I would really appreciate any suggestions!

Thank you,
Emma