[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19803] Correct band gap for semiconductor slab (with vacuum)

Dobromir A Kalchevski dobromirak at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:33:36 UTC 2024

Hello,

I was trying to find the band gap of a SiC slab (the surface is cut by the
{111} orientation) and the result is always wrong (the band gap is way too
small), due to (as far as my understanding goes) spurious interaction among
surface states. I know that terminating the surface dangling bonds/free
electrons with H atoms should help, but I am worried that the H will alter
the crystal too much. Is there another way to do it ?

Currently the system is 12 Si atoms, 12 C atoms and H-terminated "bottom"
surface. I am using the periodic Poisson solver in 3D, while leaving enough
space in the direction perpendicular to the surface.

Best Regards,
Dobromir